Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+.
AFP / Yuzuru Sunada
Ella Viviani of Italy picked up his second stage victory in three days in the Tour of Turkey when he won Saturday’s sprint finish to the seventh and penultimate stage. Already winner of Thursday’s fifth stage, Viviani finished the 136km ride from Kusudasi to Izmir ahead of compatriot and Canondale team-mate Andrea Guardini and Britain’s Mark Cavendish (Omega).
Former world champion Cavendish had won three of the opening four stages but has now been beaten by Viviani in the last two sprint finishes Another British rider, Adam Yates, retained the overall lead, just one second clear of Estonia’s Rein Taaramae. The 21-year-old rider for the Australian Orica-GreenEDGE team had won Friday’s uphill finish to take the leader’s jersey off Taaramae.
The race ends on Sunday with the eighth and final stage, a 121km ride around Istanbul.
Tour of Turkey Stage 7
1. Ella Viviani (ITA/Cannondale), 3:04:25
2. Andrea Guardini (ITA/Cannondale) @ s.t.
3. Mark Cavendish (GBR/Omega)
4. Kris Boeckmans (BEL/LTD)
5. Theo Bos (NED/BEL)
General Classification After Stage 7
1. Adam Yates (GBR/Orica) 27:51:22
2. Rein Taaramae (EST/Cofidis) @ :01
3. Romain Hardy (FRA/Cofidis) @ :39
4. Davide Formolo (ITA/Cannondale) @ :40
5. Davide Rebellin (ITA/CCC Polsat) @ :44