Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+.
July 21, 2015 – Two-time former winner Alberto Contador insisted on Tuesday’s rest day that the Tour de France is not over. Chris Froome, the 2013 champion, has dominated so far and has a 3min 10sec lead over second-placed Nairo Quintana.
Contador, the 2007 and 2009 winner, is back in fifth at 4min 23sec, but he insists he hasn’t given up hopes of a Tour hat-trick. “My legs are turning better than they were in the first Pyrenean stage, I feel good now,” said the 32-year-old Spaniard, who was wearing a T-shirt saying ‘Forza Ivan’ in support of his Tinkoff-Saxo teammate Ivan Basso.
The Italian left the Tour during the previous rest day a week ago to have surgery for testicular cancer, which he later revealed had been successful.
“We’ll see what happens, I’ll react depending on several factors, such as the weather and my rivals,” said Contador.
“It’s a tough race, it’s complicated. But I can assure you I’m very motivated for this last week. The Tour’s not over.”
Having already won all three Grand Tours, Contador said he’s only interested in the overall victory, and not a podium finish. “My aim at this Tour is only the yellow jersey. I came here to win — I wouldn’t be happy with a podium place.”