In Video, Contador Talks ‘Nightmare’ Tour Crash
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
July, 15, 2014 — Alberto Contador (Tinkoff-Saxo) released a new video Tuesday on YouTube talking about his dramatic crash that took him out of the Tour de France on Monday’s 10th stage.
Speaking in his native Spanish, Contador describes his crash and subsequent pulling out of the Tour as a nightmare that is still real when he opens his eyes.
He says he is getting good treatment and recuperating. He’s flying back to Madrid soon.
He says in cycling you can’t control everything. Even after months of hard work things can go to hell. But he’s looking forward to his next goals and hopes to get better as soon as possible.
He says at this point it looks tight to make the Vuelta a España, or Tour of Spain, happen, but he will try to do what he can to try to get there.
He expressed his affection and said he couldn’t thank everyone enough. He said he feels bad about this and for cycling fans as he had been very motivated. Now he’s about to get on a plane back to his home near Madrid.
Watch the full video below:
UPDATE 4:18 EDT: Contador avoids surgery, but Vuelta is in doubt — click here.